Re: "RAID" for remote filesystems

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: "RAID" for remote filesystems
The RAID subsystem takes care of all of the backend issues like
latency to disk and so forth.
nbd is merely a block device, and from my experience if a disk even
has a single timeout, the disk will be written as faulty by the
subsystem and be set to [_].
raid6 is: http://www.synetic.net/Tech-Support/Education/RAID6.htm
Essentially it's data and parity striped across the array, and that
itself has a parity.

You can lose multiple disks with a raid6 setup and not lose data, I
use it and I absolutely love it. (mine is raid6+1)