RE: Treo 650

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: Treo 650
On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 06:17 -0700, Bart Garst wrote:
> This thread reminded me of a similar problem I'm having with jpilot.
>
> I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.6.8 from 2.6.7. With 2.6.7 I could sync
> with no problems. After the upgrade, /dev/pilot is gone.
>
> I reinstalled jpilot, figuring it should take care of setting up /dev/pilot,
> and it did. At least until I rebooted and it disappeared again.
>
> Here's where I think it might relate to what you guys are experiencing...
>
> I found this post:
> http://www.jpilot.org/pipermail/jpilot/2004-December/004576.html

----
boy that took a long time for that link to open...No question about it,
that problems have cropped up as they have been releasing changes to 2.6
kernel - I think Alan referred to it from one of the many bugzilla
entries at redhat.

Fedora is way past that in kernels - like Alan, I am using FC-3
# uname -r
2.6.10-1.770_FC3
# current boot - I have stepped backwards in kernels to try to find
working USB/Treo combo

# rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.9-1.724_FC3
kernel-2.6.9-1.667
kernel-2.6.10-1.741_FC3
kernel-2.6.10-1.760_FC3
kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
kernel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3
kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3
kernel-2.6.12-1.1376_FC3
kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3

gives you a clue of the various kernels that FC-3 has gone through
----

> These guys are saying my problem has to do with the kernel maintainer using
> patches that were not thoroughly tested.
>
> Have either of you guys been able to sync *any* pda with your current setup?

----
Kyocera 7135 yes - but it died
Treo 650 no

even though /dev/pilot exists, neither jpilot nor pilot-xfer seem to be
able to talk through it to the device - as Alan pointed out, the
bugzilla entries at bugzilla.redhat.com suggest that there is a timing
issue going on and tracking the bugzilla entries, it doesn't appear that
they have been resolved yet and they seem to be more than 6 months old.

Thought I would be able to get bluetooth working but am seemingly unable
to get Treo to send over a password to computer that computer will
accept. Pretty much punted the issue of USB & Treo on this thing for
now. Bluetooth should be able to work - I'm just trying to get it done
in less than 10 hours.

Craig

believed to be clean.