Re: Executable confusion!

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Executable confusion!
Colin Rasor wrote:
> Alan,
>
> which will only report the first file matching the expression in $PATH. The
> first matched is in the order listed in $PATH. To verify this echo $PATH and
> check which directories are listed first. Then execute find or locate with
> an expression that matches bin for your pilot-xfer program.

Thank you, Colin.

/usr/local/bin, where the new pilot-xfer is located, comes before
/usr/bin, where the old pilot-xfer is located. Yet when I don't specify
the full path for the command, the /usr/bin version is executed.

I'm still confused. Shouldn't the $PATH specify the order in which
commands are searched for? There must be some other shell configuration
that redirects to /usr/bin first.

Alan