Re: VoiP provider recommendations

Author: Nick Estes
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: VoiP provider recommendations
Good providers that interface well with Asterisk are hard to find. Of
those around, I've only used iConnectHere (sip) and VoicePulse Connect
(iax). The only problem with VoicePulse is they don't yet have AZ area
codes, but the service has been great for the year or two I've been using
it, and the price is reasonable too. ICH has a cheap way to demo it, but
I wasn't happy with their service at all. Maybe it's improved since I
last used it, but I'm far happier with voicepulse, especially due to their
iax support.

If you're just looking to mess around with voip without spending anything
and without access to anyone in particular, free world dialup and iaxtel
are good to use. I have both of those in my asterisk setup, mostly
because I can, and also because it has, on a few occasions, been a nice
cheap way to talk to people.

Of the billions of non-asterisk compatible providers out there, I've used
Packet8 and Vonage (still use vonage for company phone/fax, until
voicepulse gets az area codes anyway). Of the two, my opinion is that
Vonage's service is a little better, and Packet8's support is a little
better; although, both are certainly usable.

I'm also interested in anyone else's experience with asterisk compatible
providers, especially those that do iax.

     --Nick