Mail clients (was Re: script to break up mp3s)

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Mail clients (was Re: script to break up mp3s)
On Aug 4, 2005, at 8:23 AM, Alex Dean wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
>> Thunderbird may not be the greatest MUA out there (IMO) but it
>> handles the mail basics just fine.
>>

> I've been pretty happy with Thunderbird. It's a little rough
> around the edges still, but seems like a pretty solid program. Do
> you have any recommendations for something better? Is there a
> 'greatest MUA' out there? If so, I want to know about it.

Alas, I can't say that there is a single 'greatest' MUA. Each of the
contenders has some unescapable flaw. Thunderbird is an undisbutably
popular client and it is fairly feature-full. If you're happy with
it, then it's unlikely you'd prefer anything else.

I've attempted to use Thunderbird myself on several occasions (a few
early candidates and then 1.0). I really liked the fact that it is
cross-platform, but there was always something that irked me enough
to drop it out of contention. Offhand, I think the last time I tried
it, it was the crappy LDAP support (mostly) and non-existent
integration into the 'system' (address book, browser, application
associations, etc).

I split my time between four MUAs. When on OS X (which is most of
the time at home), I use Mail.app. When on Linux, I use KMail. Both
have great integration into the system as a whole. They are my two
favorite MUAs by a long shot. The rest of the time is split between
Outlook (mostly because I have to and partially because I *LOVE* the
side-by-side folders, message lists, and preview pane... a feature
that is imitated extremely poorly by Thunderbird and KMail) and 'mutt'.

Hrm.. I suppose I should qualify my original remarks. Re-reading
"Thunderbird may not be the greatest MUA" in retrospect sounds like I
am saying that it's bad and it's definitely not. Thunderbird = good;
Thunderbird != great