Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Author: Patrick Fleming, EA
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Jared Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:30:06 -0700, Prescott Oelke writes:
>

> Even better - the networks without any security AND DHCP. This is a far cry from
> *unauthorized access*, a third degree felony - it is literally an invitation.

The internet and networks in general need to be treated as "open range".
If you don't want grazers, put up a fence.

> The article fails to mention if the guy 'hacked' into this dude's network or was
> granted access.

But this article does mention that the homeowner didn't secure his
network cause his neighbors were elderly:
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi_Fi_cloaks_a_new_br.shtml

"For as worrisome as it seems, wireless mooching is easily preventable
by turning on encryption or requiring passwords. The problem, security
experts say, is many people do not take the time or are unsure how to
secure their wireless access from intruders. Dinon knew what to do. 'But
I never did it because my neighbors are older.' "