Re: gThumbs thumbnails go away?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: gThumbs thumbnails go away?
Kevin said:

> Alan, thanks for mentioning this program. I just installed it and I am
> amazed how well it works.

You are welcome.

It is much better than APhoto (My slightly hacked version of LPhoto) that
she was using. Direct access to the files and catagory classification
too. She edits and corrects things in GIMP so the "file-browswer-ish"
nature of gThumbs fits her work style well.

> I notice that gThumb registers with the Gnome2 Configuration System
> (gconf). If you run `gconf-editor` you will see several settings under
> apps-->gthumb. They are fairly self-explanatory. You might want to
> verify that the application is actually writing the changes you make
> back to gconf. For example, toggle the thumbnails and see what changes
> in gconf, if anything.

Good tip.

> You might also want to launch gThumb from the command line (non-root)
> and see if it writes any errors on STDERR or STDOUT.

Well, my Windows upbringing is showing through. I can't seem to get it in
my head to try running from the commandline. Windows apps generally don't
have that debug option where Linux ones generally do. I'll try that...

Well, it has no problems anyway that I start it. :^\ Maybe I'll just
tell her I fixed it and be a hero!

Good conversation though!

Alan