OT : Network setup advice?

Author: Alex Dean
To: plug-discuss
Subject: OT : Network setup advice?
I'm setting up a home network in my new house, and I need a little
guidance. Any/all comments are appreciated.

I have DSL through Covergent Internet. I'm going to put the DSL modem
and a DLink router/WAP in the middle of the house. The concrete
construction means that the wireless signal doesn't reach far at all, so
I'm going to run cable from the router to each end of the house. At the
end of each cable, I'm going to put in a switch so I'll have plenty of
space to add new devices.

I only need 1 more switch to have all the hardware I need. I just bid
on a LinkSys BEFSR81 on eBay. I was looking for more details on this
hardware this morning, and discovered that it's actually a router (with
a built-in switch).

Questions:

   * Will I have any problems using this thing as a switch only?  I
     don't want it to do DHCP, port forwarding, or any of the other
     stuff it can probably do.
   * To connect a router to a switch, do I want patch cables or
     crossover cables?  Is there a cheap place to buy these locally?

thanks,
alex