Re: This Saturdays InstallFest

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: This Saturdays InstallFest
y meng said:
> I plan to come to the free install event this weekend. I'd like to get
> some help on the following issues.
>
> I installed Mandrake10.1 on a Sony desktop. As an OS it's running ok,
> but I need to resolve 3 problems (listed in the order of priority):
>
> 1. The CPU fan runs constantly at high speed. (Previous XP doesn't do
> that) 2. I also want to enable standby and hibernation (Previous XP
> supports that)

These two have to do with power management (APM and/or ACPI, I think).
Knowing the specifics of your hardware is very important to solving it.
Could you post the:
- Sony computer model number
- the BIOS manufacturer and version

This will probably help with pre-InstallFest research so you and your
helping volunteer(s) can be prepared.

>3. I have a hard time to keep both XP home and Linux. My
> old XP home is an OEM edition.

I assume you want to dual boot your system. This means you want to choose
either XP or Mandrake when you turn the computer on. Is that correct?

Alan