Re: suse linux and firewall

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: suse linux and firewall
Erik Bixby said:
> I had noticed that people seemed to be encouraged to use their
> commercial version, rather than the free one. I used OpenBSD for a
> while, because Smoothwall (free version) didn't support two features I
> wanted: multiple IP addresses on the "red" interface, and packet
> shaping/traffic prioritization. I see in IPCop's FAQ that they
> support multiple IP address on the "red" interface, but I can't find any
> mention packet shaping or traffic prioritization.

The release announcement for 1.4.0
(http://ipcop.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2)
lists traffic shaping under the new features. There is also some sort of
Quality of Service (QoS) addon or something from http://www.ipcop-pro.de
that I have seen mentioned in the email list.

I have not used either.

> Now that I think about it, a minor annoyance with Smoothwall is that
> lack of automated updates. Does IPCop update itself automatically?

I don't recall if it has automatic updates or not. I would not enable it
if it has it. Once I did a same-day-of-release update to Smoothwall that
caused the IDS log to fill the hard drive in a few minutes, locking the
system and, therefore, stopping all net access. Since then I always wait
a few days to see if problem reports come across the email list. If all
is quiet, then I do the update.

Alan