Re: suse linux and firewall

Author: Erik Bixby
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: suse linux and firewall
I had noticed that people seemed to be encouraged to use their
commercial version, rather than the free one. I used OpenBSD for a
while, because Smoothwall (free version) didn't support two features I
wanted: multiple IP addresses on the "red" interface, and packet
shaping/traffic prioritization. I see in IPCop's FAQ that they
support multiple IP address on the "red" interface, but I can't find
any mention packet shaping or traffic prioritization.

Now that I think about it, a minor annoyance with Smoothwall is that
lack of automated updates. Does IPCop update itself automatically?

I have since switched from DSL to Cox, and my two issues with
Smoothwall were mute, at that point, so I switched from OpenBSD to
Smoothwall. However, I am considering switching back to DSL, so I may
be interested in IPCop for use in place of Smoothwall...
-Erik