Re: dvd burner that's linux compatible

Author: Mike
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: dvd burner that's linux compatible
Alan Dayley wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>

>>hi,
>>
>>I've never had a dvd burner and now that I"m on Linux only I'm concerned
>>not only that i'll buy a good burner but that it will have not 'issues
>>with linux'.
>>
>>So, can somebody recommend a model or a resource that shows models of
>>dvd burners?
>>

>About a year ago I bought a "no name" brand DVD burner on special at
>Fry's Electronics, with some trepidation.
>
>No worries. It just worked.(TM) Fedora Core 2 and 3.
>
>Alan

Of course, you'll want to decide on ATAPI or SATA interfaces. Like it
isn't just going to work if you use Ubuntu or Debian and you end up with
a SATA burner without re-compiling the kernel or something. They turned
off optical drives for SATA under their kernels. (or something like
that) But if you get ATAPI, you have to worry about your motherboard
BIOS. I have seen issues with a couple motherboards dealing with ATAPI
DVD burners correctly. Although, i've always been able to flash the
firmware on the mobo to a later version to resolved it.

I have 2 dvd burners, one ATAPI and one SATA. SATA has been nothing but
problems in linux under Debian. Maybe its just Debian isn't capable of
dealing with SATA optical drives without maintaining your own kernel. I
have no idea, I've given up asking the debian list and
linuxquestions.org about it.

-Mike