Re: Server Question: Delegating spheres of power to sub admi…

Author: Ben Browning
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Server Question: Delegating spheres of power to sub admins
Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> AFAICT, what you're trying to do requires ACL-type access controls
> assignable on a per-object basis. Linux does not natively support ACL's
> or per-object access.

Natively, not necessarily, but XFS allows sophisticated ACLs on files.

http://linsec.ca/filesystems/xfs.php

Additionally, a lot of people are unaware of the chattr/lsattr
attributes on ext2/3 filesystems, which come in pretty handy. You can,
for example, give people a .bash_history that is append-only, meaning
noone (not even root!) can overwrite it or delete it without chattr'ing
the append-only flag. Additionally, there's a register in /proc or /sys
one can poke to disable this feature irrevocably until the next reboot-
meaning that to remove the attribute you must first reboot the system.

That said, I get the impression that a standard "group" setup,
appropriate umask settings in the users .whateverrc files, and perhaps
sudo for managers or admin staff is what the OP is really looking for.

~Ben
--
---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.