Re: OT - Is Java/Java Scripts a Security Risk?

Author: Bart Garst
To: PLUG Discuss
New-Topics: Road construction around Stammtisch tonight!, Road construction around Stammtisch tonight!
Subject: Re: OT - Is Java/Java Scripts a Security Risk?
On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 20:45, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> I generally leave both Java and JavaScript disabled on my system, and only turn them on for sites where they're required, and I am reasonably certain
> that the site is legitimate. I also have Flash disabled due to it's myriad insecure "Features". Various browsers have different ways of handling
> these items. Firefox has 2 very nice extensions for this, FlashBlock blocks Flash until you click a "play" icon that replaces the Flash image, and
> PrefBar allows you to place a simple checkbox on your toolbar to turn Java or JavaScript on or off on the fly.
>
> Hope this helps.

It certainly helped me.

I want flash enabled on my system, but I don't want those annoying flash
ads. The FlashBlock extension is perfect for me.

I'm not sure the PrefBar extension is as useful for me. I don't (think)
I visit very many sites that run applets. I guess I'll soon find out.

Thanks for the tip,.
BTW, both of these extensions also work for mozilla too.

Bart