Re: PLUG Instant Messaging a while back ... I think ... Addr…

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: PLUG Instant Messaging a while back ... I think ... Address???
On Monday 06 June 2005 04:34 am, George wrote:
> I seem to remember that someone had put up an instant messaging server
> (I think that might be what you call it) a while back and offered it up
> for PLUGers to use.
>
> Does anybody remember the URL/IP???
>
> Is it still available???

What was provided and still is available is an IRC channel on FreeNode.
It is sort-of instant messaging and the original way to chat on the
internet.

You log into the designated chat channel with your IRC client. Anything
you type into the channel is seen by all the people logged in the
channel. Kind of instant messaging on a party line! It is also possible
to open a private chat with one individual from the open channel.

You need an IRC client. The full Mozilla suite comes with one and will
open it if you put the IRC URL in it. Or another popular client is
XChat. GAIM will also connect to IRC.

Point your client to irc.freenode.net. Then join channel #plugaz. Let us
know what client you are attempting to use and specific detail of how to
connect can be provided. The address is on the PLUG website at
http://plug.phoenix.az.us/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=General+Plug+Questions&parent_id=0#34
which is also linked from the front page as "Online Chat (IRC)" under the
"Quick PLUG Info" block.

The channel is fun when someone is actively chatting. Many times the
people connected are actually doing things other than watching the
channel so you won't get a response right away. Perhaps the most
productive use of the channel is to email those you want to chat with,
scheduling a time to "meet" in the channel.

Alan