Re: Text SSL browser for Slackware 8

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Text SSL browser for Slackware 8
On Saturday 04 June 2005 02:13 pm, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I also have an important box like that. It has two 500 MB disks and 28
> MB ram.
>
> I am trying to build a small kernel for it. I removed the disk support
> though, so I need to figure out to get lilo to tell it to load the
> ide-related modules if possible.

I can't get LILO to load from the HD on this little guy so I use a boot
floppy, mounting the root from hda1.

> What glibc do you have? If new enough you could get a lynx pre-compiled
> package somewhere (even from another Linux distro) and extract it.

I booted it and ran '/lib/libc.so.6' and got, among other things:

GNU C Library stable release version 2.2.3
Compiled by GNU CC version 2.95.3 20010315
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.4

So, I gotta find a browser that will match that.

> Or you should try to upgrade your system. I don't know if any distros
> these days make it easy for your 12 MB system though.

I'd have to find another special linear RAM card that is bigger than 8MB.
These little ThinkPads are impressive for their time. The keyboard pops
up on hinges and you can swap the floppy, HD and memory out without
tools! I just don't have more memory.