Re: Need help from Debian pros!

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Need help from Debian pros!
Am 03. Jun, 2005 schwätzte Mike Garfias so:

> I've never actually done a downgrade, so I don't know how that would work.

It works. I would suggest avoiding it unless you know debian really well.

Eventually everything will upgrade as new packages are added the unstable
and filter down to testing.

Going from unstable to stable might have some issues.

You can use pinning ( see the man page for apt_preference and my cafod doc
for more info ) and an apt-get with -u to see what would be downgraded.

I did a lot of this back when woody was coming out. It was pretty hosed,
for debian. I had to know quite a bit about the debian packaging system to
get unhosed. Since then many improvements have gone into apt and the
pacakges, but I'd still recommend avoiding a downgrade.

If you need to do one check with the list and maybe hop on the debian IRC
channel.

ciao,

der.hans
#  If you don't think for yourself, others will think for you --
#  to their advantage.  -- Harold Gordon