Re: Backup Options

Author: Robert Ambrose
To: PLUG
Subject: Re: Backup Options

I use both out in the wild. I use mondo for creating a disaster recovery
backup of the base system. This is so if a system goes totally bad (and
it doesn't have to be loss of a hard drive, fools with the root password
works quite well), I can get the system back on the air PDQ. Restoring to
a bare hard drive is quite painless. This is important to me since none
of the systems I support are local. I mostly use CD-R/RW for the media,
but sometimes I also use tape. To restore, boot from the CD, type nuke at
the prompt and wait. On occasion, I've run into a problem where the mondo
CD doesn't boot. /root/images/mindi/mondorescue.iso is n bootable ISO
image which can be used to boot mondo. Mondo will prompt for the backup
CD.

In some situations, I use rsync to backup to another computer. Rsync has
some flaky sides to it. Rsync seems to fall over when it hits sockets, so
I exclude them. I've found that using a /etc/rsyncd.conf file and backing
up using modules works best. This also allows me to configure passwords
and limit which systems can access rsync remotely.

HTH, my $.02, etc

rna