RHEL hangs on boot after unclean shutdown

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RHEL hangs on boot after unclean shutdown
After an unclean shutdown RHEL4 WS refuses to boot and locks up at "Starting HAL Daemon".

Pressing "I" for interative mode when requested doesn't do anything, computer continues to boot in non-interactive mode.

Removing the "rhgb" and "quiet" from the boot options and booting to runleven 3 doesn't solve the problem. I can reach a login: prompt but the machine is locked at that point. Can not type; can not change tty. Booting to runlevel 1 (single-user) is the only thing that works.

I've seen some references to this problem by googling, but have found no solution. The RH Knowledgebase didn't offer anything useful.

Has anyone else experienced this? And how did you resolve the problem

My Slackware installation has never done this to me. <g>

Dennisk