Re: move Stammtisch?

Author: Trent Shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: move Stammtisch?
On Wednesday 2005-05-25 12:08, G Gambill wrote:
> Richard,
>
> What is there in the area of Central and Indian School that might meet the
> needs?
>
> I just drove down Central and as I passed Indian School I didn't see
> anything that looked promising.

I don't really like the idea of a West Side Stammtisch. Equal but separate
never really works out for the West Valley. The cultural and intellectual
center of Greater Phoenix is simply in the South East and that's all there is
to it. In my experience with other groups it often happens that impoverished
Westsiders cannot get to Eastside events, but Eastsiders often REFUSE to go
to Westside events (this may change when the Glendale arenas get going and
habits change).

Neither rotation nor creating a Westside stammtish is likely to be
satisfactory.

As far as a central location goes, I have already come to think of Tempe as
pretty central.

We could look for something EVEN more central that leaves:

Downtown Phoenix
,the emerging gallery district at the downtown end of Grand
,Arcadia District
,Camelback Corridor
,southern and downtown Scottsdale.

Unfortunately most of these still have an eastside bias so if you can't get to
Tempe moving probably wouldn't help you anyway.