Re: CentOS Cisco to XP Remote Workstation

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: CentOS Cisco to XP Remote Workstation
On Tuesday 24 May 2005 11:32 pm, Victor Odhner wrote:
> Now I have to install the "rdesktop" tool, and also get permissions set
> up so that X clients at work can talk to my Gnome desktop.

If you are used to using rdesktop to access Windows remotely, you'll be sorely
disappointed in the performance of your remote X clients. The remote X
clients will be glacially slow compared to the RDP Windows.

I strongly recommend checking out NX. The NX suite is a set of programs that
create a cacheable and compressable layer between the remote server and your
local workstation. It's nearly trivial to setup and once installed, the
performance is comparable to RDP. I use NX daily as well as rdesktop and can
testify that there is no performance difference. I run KDE remotely with all
the bells and whistles enabled and it still feels like I'm running it all
locally.

NX is made up of OSS libraries with either a free or commercial front-end.
The commercial front end is from NoMachine (http://www.nomachine.com). Since
they do all the development for NX, I felt that it was well worth the money
to buy directly from them. The free version is FreeNX (no real home page..
do a search for 'freenx' or 'freenx centos' for lots of hits).

Kurt