Re: CentOS Cisco to XP Remote Workstation

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: CentOS Cisco to XP Remote Workstation
On Monday 23 May 2005 07:29 am, Victor Odhner wrote:
> There was some discussion of installing that
> Cisco client. A friend at work did that, and
> has no MS stuff at home, but has lost the info
> to do the install. I can get some help from
> the techs at work, but if someone can give me
> the basic links or keywords to learn this
> procedure I would be grateful.
>
> Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> > Actually, you can use the Cisco VPN client on
> > GNU/Linux to tunnel in and access your XP remote
> > desktop as well, thus further reducing the need
> > to run that "other" O/S, at least at home.
>
> Joseph, that potentially could keep me out of
> Windows for weeks on end! But is XP Remote
> Desktop a pixel-transfer protocol, or does it
> need MS objects on the local workstation end?
> I have been extremely impressed with the rapid
> response on Remote Desktop, it really is "the
> next best thing to being there".
>
> My need for Remote Desktop is mainly to use
> Outlook, on which we rely heavily -- meeting
> invitations, etc., and some large folders that
> I keep locally on the PC at work. I also need
> it because I have not figured out how to serve a
> remote system with Cygwin's X server, but that
> should not be a problem when my desktop is
> running Linux.

I'm not sure which part of this is new and which part was quoted from earlier.
I'll assume both parts are new.

There is no easy way to get the Cisco vpnclient directly from Cisco.
Typically, you get it from your VPN admin. If, however, your admin will only
give you a windows version, you can try a version from off the 'net:

http://www.uni-konstanz.de/RZ/wlan/ipsec/software/cisco-vpnclient-4.6/

Mind you, you might want to be a *little* careful about this and see if you
can scrounge up a MD5 sum or something to make sure that it's not a trojan or
the like.

As far as the Remote Desktop goes, you can access it from Linux using
'rdesktop'. I suggest going with the latest and greatest version even if it
means compiling from source. The latest version has performance improvements
that put it right up there with the official Windows clients. You do not
need anything Windows related on your Linux box to use rdesktop:

http://www.rdesktop.org

I assume that you are using XP Professional at work since XP Home doesn't
support Remote Desktop.

I use the combination of Cisco vpnclient and rdesktop on Linux every day so I
can testify that it works!

Kurt