Re: Best server distro...?

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Best server distro...?
On Thu, 19 May 2005, Mike Garfias wrote:

> 1) the package management sucks. Big time. Whats with putting the rev
> in the package name?

I am not sure what you mean. If the package has been revised, then the
filename should be changed too.

> 2) Package dependancies. The RPMs seem to be VERY coarse grained,
> package-zxy depends on package-abc, package-def, and package-ghi, even
> though -ghi is only perpherially related (ex: PHP depending on openldap
> being installed). I have to chain multiple commands to figure out what
> needs to be removed first, before I can remove a package.

This seems normal.

If you use dpkg instead of apt-get you would have similar issues.

(As for me, I am a Pkgsrc developer and it is my package system of choice
-- but it also has primitive tools by default too.)

Jeremy C. Reed

                 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
                http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/