Re: Best server distro...?

+ (text/html)
Author: slegge@govliquidation.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Best server distro...?
>In vogue? Uhh, ok. I thought the current trend was to trash deb for
their
>long release cycles.

Blah.

>1) the package management sucks. Big time. What's with putting the rev

in the
>package name?

"rpm --force" u don't need that crap to install other crap if you don't
use that functionality. I am of the opinion if you need granular install
use source if you don't (and want ALL functionality) use the rpm's w/ deps
followed. apt fixes these nightmares and also is often overlooked for its
ability to update things automagically too.

>2) Package dependancies. The RPMs seem to be VERY coarse grained,

package-zxy
>depends on package-abc, package-def, and package-ghi, even though -ghi is

only
>perpherially related (ex: PHP depending on openldap being installed). I

have
>to chain multiple commands to figure out what needs to be removed first,
>before I can remove a package.

force the install it'll go and work (hopefully) unless its a nobrainer
like not having openssl* and installing openssh* or apache w/ mod_ssl.

>Its a very unprofessional setup. I'd rather use Sun's package

management.

I disagree on how its "unprofessional" as for the enterprise package
management they use srpms <see above about source installs>...
and as for sun's pkgtools me too! ;-)

-Scott