OT: What Thunderbird does to quotes

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: OT: What Thunderbird does to quotes
Is there a "No Plain-Text Tinkering" option hidden somewhere in
Thunderbird, so that plain text will be displayed as plain text?

There is nothing wrong with ">" marks, and the special handling in
Thunderbird tends to only be done for some lines, not all -- which
produces an inconsistent impression. But even if it were done right, it
would be annoying because I asked for a plain text view and am not
getting it.

What got me going at this moment is the message that Alexander Henry
kindly sent out to publicize the InstallFest. He put "-- " at the head
of the message, and Thunderbird decided that must be a signature
separator, and someone has decreed that signatures should be 50% less
readable, so the entire text is displayed in gray instead of black text.

MS Outlook removes "extra" newlines from all plain text messages and
that drives me crazy. I'm learning to format my plain text messages
with double spacing to prevent Outlook recipients from seeing everything
mushed together; or I just give up and use rich text formatting so I can
control how my message is displayed. But at least Outlook presents a
button at the top, to "Restore extra newlines" or words to that effect.
I haven't found the equivalent "display as-is" option in Thunderbird.

Thanks,

Vic