very slow initial connection, then all is well

Author: Bill Earl
To: plug-discuss
Subject: very slow initial connection, then all is well
Hello everyone,

We had a strange thing happen this morning, and I'm hoping someone in
the group can point me toward a likely culprit. Both our database
machines, which are running SuSE 9.1, began exhibiting a strange
behavior where it's slow to initially connect to them (about 10
seconds), but after that initial slowness while connecting, everything
is as speedy as normal.

For example, if you ssh to them, the login prompt appears quickly, but
after you enter the user name it may be 10 seconds before the password
prompt appears. Once you get logged in everything works fine and is
very speedy using the system, copying files across the network using
scp, etc. All is normal.

When connecting to mysql from another computer, again, it's about 10-15
seconds for the initial connection, then the query executes rapidly and
returns the results as fast as always.

Here are the things that DON'T seem to be the problem:

1. Top shows no unusual activity. The machine is basically idle all the
time, as it normally is.
2. Memory is not in short supply. The swap partition remains unused.
3. It's not network congestion. Connection to other machines on the
network are speedy as always, and once connected to these two machines
they also respond fine across the network.
4. It's not a mysql query bogging things down. The mysql processlist
shows nothing going on, except the occasional query coming in. Nothing
is stuck.

It seems to just be something with that initial connection, whether it's
through ssh or mysql. Viewing the process list and top while logging in
from another system doesn't show anything starting up or using a lot of
cpu time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? This started
sometime overnight, and all the normal nighttime processes completed
okay with no errors. They're on an internal network, not exposed to the
Internet, so I don't suspect an intrusion.

Thanks in advance!

Bill