Re: CentOS to Replace Novell ... maybe ... ???

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: CentOS to Replace Novell ... maybe ... ???
On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 08:13 -0700, George wrote:
> A friend has a small company with Novell network.
>
> It has served very well for many years.
>
> He is having troubles finding someone to support Novell and wants to move to
> something else.
>
> His work stations are basically MS (98, 2K, XP).
>
> MS people are telling him to go MS.
>
> I am telling him to go Linux and am leaning to CentOS. He is willing.
>
> I want to be absolutely certain (if there is such a thing) that CentOS Linux
> will not be a mistake.
>
> Any negative war stories about CentOS serving an MS workstation world?
>
> What about Raid?
>
> We are probably going to build the box and want quality components. Any
> recommendations on the best (if there is such a thing) Mobo?
>
> I feel comfortable with power supplies and memory. Any other components of
> a critical (quality wise) nature?
>
> It's a small co, less than 10 workstations in the foreseeable future.
>
> Therefore what would be a good minimum for:
>
> CPU speed?
>
> Memory size and speed?
>
> Other?

----
just about anything that you get today with a decent processor and
sufficient RAM should be good enough to be a workgroup file server...

2.8 GHz+
512 MB RAM

RAID is certainly doable - RAID 5 - hardware or software RAID

Myself, I would never recommend building your own box as you can get
boxes from Dell, IBM, HP/Compaq - all certified to use with RHEL which
is essentially what CentOS is with a 3 year guarantee and reasonable
enough quality parts that you wouldn't likely be able to do better for
less.

I just recently set up a Dell 1800 with dual Xeon (2.8 I think), 3 180
Gb hard drives (SATA) in a RAID 5 using CentOS 4 and complete with 3
Intel NIC's (1 onboard, 2 via slots), a DAT72 tape backup for approx
$2600 (IIRC, the tape backup added about $800 to the cost) - and it
installed easily, set up software RAID on LVM and it has been running
like a champ (openldap, samba as PDC, mysql, BIND, dhcp, postfix, cyrus-
imapd, horde/imp webmail etc.)

Not at all a mistake...if it helps, you can call me or have them talk to
me.

Craig