Re: Ibook or Powerbook?

Author: Alexander Henry
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Ibook or Powerbook?
The differences between the two is CPU/MB speed, a little HD space,
Gigabit vs 10/100, better graphics card, optional dual video adapter,
better display (both iBooks are 1024x768), extra Firewire 800, built-in
bluetooth, the mousewheel-on-the-trackpad-with-two-fingers feature
(wheee), and of course style.

If any one of those are killer must-have features, then get the
Powerbook. Otherwise stick with the iBook. I needed a portable web
development platform with a UNIX terminal and a nice long battery, so all
of those extras are pretty much meaningless for me, and I planned on doing
serious stuff with my laptop. NB: There's a 3D game called Nanosaur on my
iBook, it's quite fancy on the graphics, and it runs fine, so in case
that's anywhere in your killer feature list, I don't think that should
count towards the powerbook. Video editing and Maya 3D modeling probably
would.

I got my iBook with a few extras, namely an additional 512MB and a 60G HD,
also bluetooth and wireless card (yes, you actually get a checkbox for
that). That brought the price up a bit, almost the same as the starting
price for a powerbook.

In either case, you get a UNIX box on which you can both ./configure,
make, make install and just plug-n-play any device you'd like. Some
people have their own killer commercial app like Quicken, bigger vendors
will always cater to Macs.

--

--Alexander