Re: lock symbolic link in firefox profile

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: lock symbolic link in firefox profile
Jason Spatafore wrote:
| On Tuesday 03 May 2005 23:36, Tom Jones wrote:

|>IIRC, the flashing red means that the file the link is pointing to no
|>longer exists.
|

| I had a problem with my browser once with such a lock. In this case, I

don't
| believe it was broken link but a locked file. You can forcefully

remove it
| but it will probably return when you re-open firefox. It has to do

with the
| user profiles and, most-likely, is the default profile lock. (So you

don't
| have to select a profile every time you open firefox.)

| I deleted mine and it came back after I opened firefox. So, hope that

gives
| some explanation.

That's basically how locks work. Their purpose is to tell other
programs (or a new instance of the same program) that "this file is in
use." When the program that placed the lock is closed it removes the
lock. If the program does shut down cleanly (i.e. crashes) then the
lock isn't removed and when you restart the program it checks for a
lock, finds the old one and complains.

Dennisk