Re: Digital Restrictions Management

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Digital Restrictions Management
1) Every "feature" of Outlook Express assumes that everyone using
email uses Outlook Express, I recommend your daughter drop that (trap
straight from the deepest levels of hell) lousy bit of
vendor-lockin-ware and use something more functional, like Thunderbird.
2) Thunderbird already has excellent email encryption support through
the Enigmail extension, which uses GPG to encrypt/decrypt and
sign/verify emails transparently. It works beautifully, and it's
completely open technology. I signed this message using the Enigmail
plugin as an example, and it took all of 2 mouse clicks (OK, it took 4
more when I first set up Enigmail, but that only needs to happen once).
3) What you experienced has nothing to do with the real DRM, it's a MS
Passport "service", and it will NEVER be available on a non-windows
platform (MS views most Passport "services" as strategic lockin
resources).