Re: Kgpg users?

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Kgpg users?
Mike Hoy wrote:
> hi,
>
> would like to use gpg to encrypt some of my bosses information on my
> computer.
>
> i don't need anything like a loopback filesystem or anything. that seems
> too complicated for me at this time.
>
> i'm in KDE right now (i'm not sure which wm i want to use) and I've
> tried right clicking and encrypting w/ konqueror.
>
> that seems very handy. it did manage to get a key, registered and all
> that. and did encrypt a file. but there is a big quesiton mark over the
> encrypted file.asc file. KDE doesn't know what the file is? Seems to me
> that the program it should be associated with is Kgpg, afterall that is
> the prog that created the .asc file.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> mike hoy

Kgpg seems like alot of trouble to me. Why not just use the commandline ?

gpg -c somefile

This will encrypt with a symmetric cipher (i.e. no public/private key
required).

You'd decrypt the file this way:

gpg --decrypt somefile >somefile.txt

A variation is to use -a to "ascii armour" the file so you can drop the
encrypted in the notes field of the mozilla address book, for example.

Another possiblility is to keep all your addresses, passwords, etc. in a
plain ascii text file with one record per line then:

gpg --decrypt mypasswords |grep PayPal

This will return only the info you want without exposing anything else
in the file.

Dennisk