Re: Separate partition for Windows

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Separate partition for Windows
It is possible, starting with Windows 2000, to mount partitions in
directories (mountvol will do the trick in command line, there's also a
graphical means to do this via the disk management console). The problem
is that the mount occurs late in the boot process, and this can cause
problems at times. That said, I have set up several systems with the
"Documents and Settings" directory mounted from a separate partition. My
point with Windows was that doing this doesn't help much for protecting
the user settings on an upgrade or reinstall, since the registry hive
cannot be retained, and many settings aren't in the user directories anyway.