Re: PLUG website DNS issues

Author: Darin Wayrynen
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: PLUG website DNS issues
> Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:51:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <>
> Subject: Re: PLUG website DNS issues
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Mike wrote:
>
> > For one, the SOA is set at 'nina. hostmaster.LuftHans.com.'. (what is
> > nina. supposed to resolve to?)
>
> That doesn't matter. "nina." is the host probably where original zone
> configuration is hosted. And hostmaster@ is the email address.
>
> > ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
>
> This is coming from your own cache anyways.
>
> > In either case, it is falling back on deju's name servers for responses.
>
> Where do you see this?
>
> Now looking again, I see that ns1.deru.net and ns2.deru.net also give A
> records for this zone. I didn't realize that they provided "A" answers
> before since I was looking for NS records previously.
>
> But they are not the authoritative -- no "aa" flags. But both
> ns3.LuftHans.com. and ns2.sequoia.net. are authoritative (both have "aa"
> flags reported by dig).
>
> Jeremy C. Reed
>
>                  open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
>                 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/

Our name servers will resolve the ip for plug.phoenix.az.us if they
are asked directly as they are resolving name servers. They won't
short circuit normal requests that are trying to find the ultimate
name servers though (ie if you ask another name server, our servers
just pass on the ns records).

I still think it's silly for plug to be on servers outside of Phoenix.
Our offer to host it is still open. At least it would be in Phoenix,
and plug would have a local contact for all the connectivity problems.

Someone should toss together a server and colo it in our data center free
of charge.

:-)

Darin