Re: Shockwave on Linux

Author: Jared Anderson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Shockwave on Linux

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:23:01 -0700, Vaughn Treude pushed these keyboard buttons:
>Hello everyone:
>I'm trying to get my kid acquainted with Linux. I have configured a
>spare box with Xandros (seems like a pretty easy version.) Out of the
>box the default Opera browser worked with web-based Flash games, which
>is one of his favorite things to do. But it didn't work with
>Shockwave. I was saddened to find that Macromedia doesn't have a Linux
>version of the Shockwave plugin. I googled around and found an entry on
>LinuxQuestions.org that claimed that RealPlayer had shockwave plugins
>that could be used in Linux. I downloaded the Linux RealPlayer, and it
>worked. I also tried copying the RealPlayer plugins to Opera's plugin
>directory - wouldn't work. So I downloaded and installed Mozilla and
>did the same - also wouldn't work. Opera has a "plugins" option in its
>menu but it seems to only allow you to set search paths. So I tried
>adding the RealPlayer plugin directory to the list of paths, that didn't
>help. Mozilla doesn't seem to have any useful settings for plugin types
>under preferences (just general behavior settings.)
>
>So to cut to the chase - has anyone gotten Shockwave working under
>Linux?
>
>Thanks,
>Vaughn

I have, but, unfortunately, with commercial software only: cross-over
office. It is a major resource hog and I would love to be rid of it if a
better solution exists.

Shockwave is the only reason I still have a Windows box (3 kids +
Nickjr.com/CartoonNetwork.com/etc...)