Re: West Side Meeting ... What Topics ... Who is Willing

Author: stu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: West Side Meeting ... What Topics ... Who is Willing
I have to admit I have some difficulties myself. I work nights, and for the
few PLUG meetings I've been able to attend I used my vacation/personal time.
I've always learned something that makes it worth the tradeoff, but I would
do it on a more regular basis if I could learn more beginner to intermediate
stuff. Many years ago, when the Z80a was the Hot Chip, my friends and I
wrote our own software in either BASIC or assembly language, and freely
exchanged our work and ideas. Everything was "open source" before Bill Gates
turned home computer programming into an expensive Mystical Art to be
practiced only by the initiated Wizards of Redmond. I see the whole Gnu/Linux
thing as a way to get back into that, to "own" my computer again, and do what
I enjoy without worrying about the software Nazis coming after me. I'm just
having a little trouble connecting the Old world with the New.

Stu