Re: Preview before cookie feature

Author: Trent Shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Preview before cookie feature
On Sunday 2005-04-10 02:33, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> On Sunday 10 April 2005 05:14 am, Alan Dayley wrote:
> > Browsing the internet I use Firefox and before that Mozilla. These
> > browsers provide very good control over cookies. I always set mine to
> > ask if I want to allow a cookie. This both alerts me when a site uses
> > cookies and allows control at the time the cookie is placed. This is all
> > good.
> >
> > The problem is, when going to a URL that I have not ever visited, I
> > sometimes do not know if the site is really where I want to go. Like
> > when you end up on some domain name sellers site instead of the intended
> > destination. But, before I find out if the site is what I want, ie.
> > before the browser has even started displaying the page, the question
> > about accepting a cookie pops up. So, without knowing what the page
> > really contains I must choose what to do with the cookie.
> >
> > What I would like is the option to reject or accept the cookie after I
> > have seen the site. If the browser could respond to the cookie placement
> > directive just enough to render the site, then ask me if I want to keep
> > the cookie, that would be great.

It is not so much a computer problem as a contract problem. The other party
will not let you have a preview without a cookie, and that is not negotiable.
You want to effectively deceive the other party.

> > Does anyone know of a browser or add-on that will do this?
> >
> > Alan
>
> I don't know of an answer to your question, but don't you get an option to
> view details about the cookie that would tell you a little about it?
>
> Siri Amrit

Wouldn't the browser have to effectively accept the cookie to do this?

The site will not let you see it unless you have a valid cookie, so you have
to take it or walk away. The best that could be done is to put this cookie
and all from the site into a special cookie jar for potentially toxic
cookies. It would be a real pain to manage.

Also, if Mozilla had that sort of feature, it would just start an arms race as
purveyors of mal- and mark-ware cookies tried to get registered on your
browser.