Re: Startup script at boot (Debian)

Author: Eric Richardson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Startup script at boot (Debian)
Hi,
I'm not an expert on Debian but have been using it for awhile. It seems
that you have two things going on here in your script that are not related.

For the modprobe imm command to load the driver for the IOMEGA type
drive I believe you should run the modconf command and then select
kernel/drivers/scsi and then scroll down and select imm. This will load
the module and 'update-modules' which will put an entry for imm in the
/etc/modules file and any options added in the /etc/modules.conf file. I
believe this is the recommended way in Debian if not the easy way to add
modules.

The power saving modes I would think are controlled by either apm or
acpi(newer) daemons depending on the system. For example on this older
laptop I run apm and in lilo.conf I use a line append="apm=on" which
allows the laptop to power off when I shut down with out pushing the
button. I don't use other options such as suspend to disk etc. as I use
it plugged in. I looked at the /etc/apm directory and there is a
script.d directory which looks like an ideal place for these setpci
commands. There is a apmd_proxy file that explains a bit how it works.
This could be totally wrong for your situation but I wanted to mention
just in case. Startup scripts are normally used to start daemons,
applications etc.

Hope this helps,
Eric