Need Help Doing a Remote Debian Install

Author: Mark Phillips
To: PLUG
Subject: Need Help Doing a Remote Debian Install
I have an old P2 machine with Windows ME and I would like to install
Debian and use it as a file server on my network. However, I don't have
a monitor, keyboard or mouse. I would like to do a remote network
install of Debian to the point that I can ssh into the machine and use
apt to install the packages I want. In an ideal world, I would like to
download a iso image, burn a cd, put the CD in the target machine and
after some time ssh into a running Debian system.

I googled around and found

1. This HOWTO
(http://www.underhanded.org/papers/debian-conversion/remotedeb.html),
but the target system has to have some Linux distro installed.

2. FAI
(http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/fai-guide.html/index.html#contents)
This should work but I need to add nfs to my network, create a local
Debian package mirror, etc. It appears to be a long complicated process.
I was hopping to find a simpler solution.

Knoppix seems to be one solution that will get a Linux kernel running
with ssh. I am not sure how to proceed after I format the hard drive,
i.e. how to tell the "standard" net install process that I don't have a
monitor or keyboard or mouse and to send console messages vi ssh.
Perhaps there is a script based install that I can use?

If anyone has a suggestion or knows of an iso image that I can burn, put
in the drive, and end up with a running Debian system, I would love to
find out about it!

Thanks,

Mark