Re: Internet connectivity

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Internet connectivity
On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 05:13 -0700, Michael Sammartano wrote:

> >Just so I understand the problem correctly, you can connect a cat5 to the netgear router and surf the net just fine; however, accessing the net through the same router via the wireless *connection* doesn't allow you to get to the net? Are you able to access the netgear router's administration interface via the wlan?
> >

> That is correct. I have complete access to everything behind the router
> including the router. I just can not get past the router.

----
I went to bed last night and see that you didn't solve it and there were
too many of us giving you directions anyway...

We know that your problem isn't about getting past the router, it's that
your computer doesn't have a default gateway. Thus it has no knowledge
of how to get to a network other than 192.168.0.0/24 (assuming a 'class
c' subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 - pretty normal in 192.168 ip space)

You had a static route for 192.168.0.1 which doesn't make any sense and
I hope that you deleted that. A static route != gateway

The next question becomes, why does the laptop get an ip address but not
a default gateway from dhcp? Probably because it isn't configured in the
dhcp server (the router providing dhcp? - fix that in dhcp)

using commands like
ifdown eth1
ifup eth1

should knock down your interface and bring it back up again, hopefully
getting the changed dhcp settings

of course, you can manually add a default gateway after the network
interface is active from suggestions last night.

Craig