getting email up and running

Author: Alex Dean
To: plug-discuss
Subject: getting email up and running
I've recently set up my first 'from-scratch' web server. I've been
plinking around with Apache for years, but always on someone else's
box. Now, I want to learn more about Linux, and decided to set up
everything on my own just to be sure I know what's going on.

I did a clean install of Debian (sarge), and had a very easy time
getting Apache, PHP, and MySQL up and running. It's serving pages right
now, no problem. (FYI, if you want to read all the news about my
family, it's at www.deanspot.org)

My problem now is email. I don't get it. As in : I can neither send
nor receive email, and I don't understand enough about it to know how to
troubleshoot. Here's a list I brainstormed of possible problems -
anyone who could help either add to the list or suggest possible
tests/solutions would be my hero.

    * mail server is not running.
    * mail server is running, but incorrectly configured
    * server is not open on the correct ports for email
      I'm open on 25 (SMTP) and 110 (POP).  Isn't that enough?
    * my ISP is blocking me in some way, because i have a residential
      account rather than a commercial account
      How could I test this?
    * my DNS is set up incorrectly
      I'm using everydns.org for DNS.  It's working fine for web
      traffic.  Here's the only MX record I have set up.
      deanspot.org

      MX

      deanspot.org

      10

      3600

I am running exim4, and have done some basic configuration. I think I'm
also running Courier, but I don't really undertstand the
difference/relationship between exim and Courier. Help?

Could suggest a basic book on the fundamentals of email? I've looked
online, and in bookstores, but I haven't found anything which seems to
fit this bill.

thanks!
alex