Re: firewire card for miniDV camcorder

Author: shieldx
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: firewire card for miniDV camcorder
Alan Dayley wrote:
> On Saturday 26 March 2005 06:47 pm, shieldx wrote:
> --[clip]--
>
>>I'm wondering if anybody knows what kind of firewire card works well
>>with MiniDV camcorders,
>>specifically a Canon ZR-200,
>>under Linux.
>>

>>Thanks in Advance
>>Eric.
>>

>>PS: Google, and even the dvgrab/kino website were not helpful with
>>this, the only thing I learned there was that I wasn't the only person
>>to have this problem.
>

> Try the HCL in the linux1394 web site:
> http://www.linux1394.org/hcl.php
>
> The ZR-200 is listed in the "Camera" section:
> http://www.linux1394.org/view_device.php?id=887
>
> I use our ZR-85 with this card that I purchased at Fry's:
> http://www.linux1394.org/view_device.php?id=770
> (This is my entry into the HCL for that card.)
>
> Check the several SIIG cards in the list Host Adapter List:
> http://www.linux1394.org/hcl.php?class_id=2
>
> The card you have may actually be supported, you just need to get the
> driver configuration right. Describe your specific problem down to the
> kernel version
> - What version of dvgrab are you using?
> - What distro?
> - What kernel version?
> - What is the output of lsmod, before and after you attach the camera?
> - What device is dvgrab configured to get the video from?
>
> I use Kino to extract DV into the computer from the camera. If that is
> what you use, we could discuss the preferences settings you are trying.
>
> Don't give up on the hardware yet, lets explore it a bit.
>
> Alan

I am running linux 2.6.8-2-686, the debian package,
and dvgrab version 1.7, (I'm going to worry about kino later)

The modules loaded on bootup are:
eth1394
ohci1394
ieee1394

The modules that were automatically added after I turned the camera on are:
dv1394
raw1394

The relevant part of lspci is:
0000:00:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
Controller (rev 46)

dmesg spits this out every time I turn the camera on:
ieee1394: Error parsing configrom for node 0-01:1023
ieee1394: Current remote IRM is not 1394a-2000 compliant, resetting...
ieee1394: Node resumed: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] GUID[0000850000c841ac]
ieee1394: Node changed: 0-00:1023 -> 0-01:1023
ieee1394: unsolicited response packet received - no tlabel match

Does any of this gibberish help? :-)

Eric