quoting pains

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: quoting pains
I have a problem with quoting strings

My problem is with php/mysql but I would venture to guess that this
issue is almost across the board problem and not specific to this pair.

My string...
(php)
$my_search = "SELECT * from horde_datatree WHERE user_uid = \"$user\" \
AND (group_uid = 'horde.shares.kronolith' OR group_uid = \
'horde.shares.nag' OR gr\oup_uid = 'horde.shares.imp' OR group_uid = \
'horde.shares.turba' OR group_uid = 'horde.shares.mnemo')";

which results in (an example - variable expanded)

SELECT * from horde_datatree WHERE user_uid = "jennifer" AND (group_uid
= 'horde.shares.kronolith' OR group_uid = 'horde.shares.nag' OR
group_uid = 'horde.shares.imp' OR group_uid = 'horde.shares.turba' OR
group_uid = 'horde.shares.mnemo')

now I need to pass this string (along with other things) in an html POST
operation...

echo "<input type='hidden' name='search_string' \
value=\"$search_string\">";

which when POSTed - results in...

SELECT * from horde_datatree WHERE user_uid =

cut off at the first "

I cannot fathom a way to get the entire string to pass through
'unmolested'

Any ideas

Craig