Re: Annotated Filesystem

Author: Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Annotated Filesystem
Problem is you have to manual update multiple file every time you move the
original file. I move things around way to often, and have copies that
require synching on multiple machines, writing scripts to check for which file
is the latest (by size, date, etc) is bad enough without having to go out and
manually update the meta data file one line at a time for every file
synched(or not). For me, personally, my meta data changes regularly, but the
actual data in the file changes greatly, and its relevance and locations or
the files are updated from daily, to monthly. If I have not moved a document
in over a week it is often because it is ready for the archive (a chore in and
of itself!)

But it is not a bad idea for small, or static, needs. I used to have a DB
store tons of data about files, as the files themselves changed very little,
and the meta data changed a lot