Re: Noobii & Fedora Core1?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Noobii & Fedora Core1?
On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 01:18 -0700, Stu wrote:
> On Sunday 06 March 2005 23:40, Craig White wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 22:33 -0700, mike enriquez wrote:
> > > I am reading a book about Fedora Core1. I am a Noobii so my questions to
> > > those of you in the know is this: Is Fedora Core1 a good distro for a
> > > noobii to use to learn about Linux or should I
> > > try some other distro.
> > > If you like Fedora Core1 or not please give me your input.
> >
> > ----
> > Fedora Core 1 is past end of life
> >
> > Updates require fedoralegacy and I'm not certain how they are keeping
> > up. It isn't what I would install today.
> >
> > Fedora Core is also last of Fedora 2.4 kernel - Fedora went to 2.6
> > kernel with Fedora 2 - there have been many updates to Fedora Core 2 but
> > on the whole it works pretty well. This is likely to go end of life in
> > April/May
> >
> > Fedora Core 3 is current and is a much improved 2.6 kernel
> > distro...things have been worked through very well. It is also extremely
> > parallel to RHEL 4 and the manuals for RHEL 4 would be very helpful.
> >
> > All Fedora's are reasonably easy to set up. The newer the distribution,
> > the larger the hardware database is - thus plug and play gets better all
> > the time.
> >
> > Craig
> >
>     Fedora Core 1 is what comes with the book "Linux for Non-Geeks" from No
> Starch Press. The book is written for the average Computer User, and I've
> learned a lot about Linux with it. The Fedora Core Distro that came with it
> updated itself with a click of the mouse, and required very little effort on
> my part.
>     The above book and distro combo are very well written and easy to understand.
> Whether or not it is the "best" Distro will always be debatable, but in any
> case it is an excellent starting point.

----
it wasn't a question of what is best

it is simply end of life

up2date doesn't work anymore - it has been transferred to fedoralegacy

things have radically changed. USB devices actually work now. Printing
has radically improved. Gnome - KDE - have vastly changed. XFree86 has
been replaced by xorg.org. Questions about Fedora 1 are actually 'off-
topic' on

I certainly understand the notion of having a book to track with the CD
- it's how I learned too - but it was RedHat 5.1 Book/CD and 6.0 had
just been released.

Someone learning Linux today might just as well not bother with 2.4
kernel - it is Linux past. 2.6 is Linux present

Craig