Re: Noobii & Fedora Core1?

Author: Stu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Noobii & Fedora Core1?
On Sunday 06 March 2005 23:40, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 22:33 -0700, mike enriquez wrote:
> > I am reading a book about Fedora Core1. I am a Noobii so my questions to
> > those of you in the know is this: Is Fedora Core1 a good distro for a
> > noobii to use to learn about Linux or should I
> > try some other distro.
> > If you like Fedora Core1 or not please give me your input.
>
> ----
> Fedora Core 1 is past end of life
>
> Updates require fedoralegacy and I'm not certain how they are keeping
> up. It isn't what I would install today.
>
> Fedora Core is also last of Fedora 2.4 kernel - Fedora went to 2.6
> kernel with Fedora 2 - there have been many updates to Fedora Core 2 but
> on the whole it works pretty well. This is likely to go end of life in
> April/May
>
> Fedora Core 3 is current and is a much improved 2.6 kernel
> distro...things have been worked through very well. It is also extremely
> parallel to RHEL 4 and the manuals for RHEL 4 would be very helpful.
>
> All Fedora's are reasonably easy to set up. The newer the distribution,
> the larger the hardware database is - thus plug and play gets better all
> the time.
>
> Craig

    Fedora Core 1 is what comes with the book "Linux for Non-Geeks" from No
Starch Press. The book is written for the average Computer User, and I've
learned a lot about Linux with it. The Fedora Core Distro that came with it
updated itself with a click of the mouse, and required very little effort on
my part.
    The above book and distro combo are very well written and easy to understand.
Whether or not it is the "best" Distro will always be debatable, but in any
case it is an excellent starting point.

    Stu