Re: HTTP POST into PHP

Author: Alex Dean
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: HTTP POST into PHP
Don Calfa wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
>
>> Trying to figure out what is exactly POST'ed to a php file when executed
>> from a form. Perhaps my problem is that from the 'sender' I have several
>> 'form' objects, each with an 'input' button to invoke the action.
>>
>> I am trying to evaluate the 'array' that is POST'ed to branch to
>> different functions within a php script and I get varying results.
>>
>> anyway, I have tried to inspect the contents of of the POST by simple
>> commands in my target.php file with
>>
>> var_export($_POST);
>> var_export($_HTTP_POST_VARS);
>>
>> but the thing that is really making me crazy is if I have two
>> consecutive lines...
>>
>> $action = $_POST['OK'];
>> var_export($_POST['OK']);
>>
>> will return different values.
>>
>> It's almost as if the value of $_POST['OK'] will never die - even if I
>> change the 'name' of all of the '<input name="OK" value="some_value">
>> buttons.
>>
>> So I am really left to think that the above 'var_export' commands simply
>> don't give me a complete dump of all of the data that is POST'ed - is
>> there any way to get a complete dump of this data?
>>
>> Craig

> I use :
>
> print"<pre>";print_r($_POST);

I do almost the same as this...
echo "<pre>";
var_dump($_POST);
echo "</pre>";
die(); // good to have this if you're debugging a script which could
'do stuff' like update a database.

var_dump() gives you a little more meta-information about a variable
than print_r() does, but they're basically equivalent for the current
purpose.

alex