Re: Noobii & Fedora Core1?

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Noobii & Fedora Core1?
On Mar 6, 2005, at 10:33 PM, mike enriquez wrote:
> I am reading a book about Fedora Core1. I am a Noobii so my questions
> those of you in the know is this: Is Fedora Core1 a good distro for a
> noobii to use to learn about Linux or should I
> try some other distro.
> If you like Fedora Core1 or not please give me your input.
> Thanks again to the list.
> Mike the noobii!

Ahah! I finally figured out what you mean by "noobii." I was thinking
it was some odd acronym or maybe a word in some language I've never
seen before. It wasn't until I happened to sound it out that it hit
me: you mean "newbie"

So if a "newbie" is a person that is very inexperienced with something
(usually computer or internet related), then maybe a "noobii" is just
somebody who mis-spells "newbie"?

Unless you're Romanian, it seems. Most of the sites that google
returns in a search for "noobii" seem to be Romanian...

Anyway, in answer to your question, Fedora is indeed a good
distribution for a Newbie. It's not going to be as easy to use as a
Xandros, MEPIS, or Ubunto (probably) but there are a LOT more people
that could help you with Fedora than any of the latter. And in my
experience from back when I was a newbie, using an OS with a lot of
local people that can help you when you get in a jam ('cause you will
get in a jam) is far better than using one that's slightly more "user
friendly" but lacks local support. That's one of the reasons I went
with Linux back in the day instead of FreeBSD... but that's way besides
the point.