Re: InstallFest and My computer?

Author: Lee Einer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: InstallFest and My computer?
Hi, Mike-

You would want to start by checking the specs for your PC, or your
motherboard if you built it yourself. FWIW, ACPI is anologous to
Winmodems- it is dumber hardware run by smarter software. In the case of
ACPI, though, it is basic system functions like power down, power
management and cooling which are controlled by ACPI. Although there is
an implementation of ACPI in Linux, computer manufacturers are largely
doing a bad job of adhering to standards, so the ACPI does not always
function.

Mandrake 10.1 is supposed to automatically detect and configure ACPI,
but in my very limited experience it does not bat a thousand with this.
You can check to see if ACPI is installed but just not working by
looking for a folder called ACPI in your PROC directory. If there is an
ACPI folder and it is populated, you have ACPI running but it is not
talking to your computer.

You say that it worked once. Perhaps you could also go into the Mandrake
Control Center under "services" and see if ACPI is set to start up at boot.

Lee

Lee Einer
Dos Manos Jewelry
http://www.dosmanosjewelry.com