HELP Larry? (NetBeans)

Author: geneous@cox.net
To: plug-discuss
Subject: HELP Larry? (NetBeans)
A couple months ago Larry (? last name) suggested I use Sun's NetBeans for Java development. Now I'm tring to do something basic, but sample code and my learning curve are in major collision.

Please point me to, or send an example of a simple applet that actually has a JPanel component (where I can place other components) that you know runs on NB4/JDK1.5. A seperate Class/Constructor file, seperate from the "non-main" "extends Applet" source file is fine.

I tried the Sun sample under the "How to Build an Applet" tutorial and got a can't find symbol "getComponentPane" error. I just tried to distill Sun's "TumbleItem" animation and got much of the same, but multiple instances.

If you prefer, I'll send my little stand-alone (JPanel) application that is my objective, but as an Applet.

Needless to say, knowing a little is a dangerous thing, and my frustration level is not pretty. Fortunately, I do have a lot of hair on my head for my age.

Appreciations,
Gene