Re: Pros and Cons of Using an Old Box as a Router

Author: Jonathan Claxton
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Pros and Cons of Using an Old Box as a Router

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Craig Brooksby wrote:

> 1) Are there clear reasons why running an old box + Linux as a router
> / firewall / etc. is *better* than just using the features in the
> little $60 router? (I mean, the *fan noise alone* from this old box
> is enough to tilt the scales for me :-)

Craig, it depends on what cpu this old box has. I got a box with a 800MHZ
p3 cpu with 256meg memory that is my router and yea...it's overkill for
what it does. I have hear of people running a p2 with 64meg memory running
just fine.

> 2) Do people plug in Wi-Fi adapters into the old box and use it to
> control a wireless network? Or is all that better left to the D-Link?
> I ask because my son's Win XP box is currently wireless.

The firewall that I have is running software called IPCop(www.ipcop.org)
can be setup for the wireless network. It's very NICE. I have Cox service,
same as you. You could leave it to the D-Link wireless if you want to go
that route.

The most important thing to have on a firewall, is enought ethernet
interfaces IMO. For the setup that you want to run, it's best to have 3
interfaces, one for the cable modem, one for the internal network and one
for the wireless if you do decide to put it on a steperate network
otherwise you will have to put it on the internal network.